HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:34:18 -0500
I spent many hours in the 1980's filling out endless forms for capital
funds in order to buy computers (HP3000s) for the company(ies) I was
with at the time.

I was told the trick was to get enough money up front so you didn't have
to go "back to the well" a few months or a year or two later, for more
funds for the same project.  That was stupid, but that was the way the
game was played.

I tried to explain to senior management that prices kept coming down and
that computing power was increasing every year and that it was stupid to
buy for years in advance.  I repeatedly tried to explain that the
company would save oodles of money (a financial term) if they just
started buying with a shorter view.

I was told that since getting capital funds was such an involved process
that it actually cost less to spend more upfront rather than go back
more frequently for smaller amounts.

When I asked if they would fire some bean counters if I just did one big
capital funds request to last 10 years, I was told I was not a team
player.

I still maintain, now more than ever, that buying computing power for
more than 12 months is a waste of money.

My team is very small.  :-)

Denys