HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 1

From:
Rome Samo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rome Samo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:47:01 -0500
 Jerome Finn wrote:
>>Just an idea,
>>
>>Why doesn't HP release MPE, but only allow it to be
>>ported to HP-UX via license?
>

> The question makes no sense. You don't port one OS to another.
> You port an OS to another hardware.
>
> MPE and HP-UX run on the same hardware
> OS/400 and AIX run on the same hardware
> VMS and Tru64 run on the same hardware
>
> Its been a lot more economical to share hardware costs across lines for a
> long time.
>
> DEC would let you just let to choose to install VMS or Tru64 on an Alpha
> machine.
>
> HP will provide a kit to convert HP3000 to HP9000. Keep the same box.
>
> IBM could do the same with iSeries to pSeries.
>
> Ask these companies what hardware is shared between these boxes. They have
> the same processors. I don't know at what level IBM and HP keep these
> machines from crossing over. Possibly with some firmware or maybe these
> machines have some equivalent of a PC BIOS were they can imbed the
> impediment. But if they wanted to they already could let you cross install
> either the way DEC did on Alpha. Its not that hard, but that would hurt
> marketing strategies that allow you to charge different cost for the same
> box.
>
> Its a matter of will not effort.
>
> Jerry Finn

I think we're all missing the point here...

If I may read between the lines, what we really want, is to re-create
MPE on other platforms.  Currently, the best we have out there is
OpemMPE.org.  Unfortunately, HP will really never let this happen,
unless they can make some money out of the transaction, or they feel
that doing so will hurt their compitetors.

I don't believe these issues will get resolved.  So, we're looking at
MPE dying a slow death (painful for some of us).

I propose that we start thinking about "re-developing MPE on our own".
Most of the O/S can be developed over (on top) of some other operating
system for starters.  At some point, once the code base is good enough,
one can start thinking of creating a "real" operating system (on other
hardware/platform).

If we can create the CI (shell) that can execute all MPE commands, then
this would be a good start.  At least it would give all MPE folks out
there an environment that they can use on various other platforms.  In
order for this to happen, one needs to start re-creating the
functionality built into the system XL: developing functions such as
FOPEN, FCLOSE, and so on.

The other issue here is what language should be used to develop the XL.
  Although there are many out there, I suggest a language that is
low-level, fast, free (open-source), and housed on many, many operating
systems.  Given these limitations, there are not that many languages
that can be used.

Although my favorite languages are "Wirth" flavored (modula-2, pascal,
etc), I propose going to some assembly (although, admittedly modula-2
produces the fastest and smallest code I have seen [if written properly]).

The two assemblers that come to mind are: NASM, which runs on just about
ALL platforms, and, my current favorite: HLA (high-level assembler).
HLA is not your usual asm: it has a standard library similar to c++
(stdlib), conditional constructs (if, else, etc), and very enjoyable to
code in.

I would be willing to join such a group, and start the ball rolling on a
new MPE.  This new Open-source MPE should be available for free,
downloadable from the internet.  Version 1.0 should have, as a minimum
the CI.

Any takers?