HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 1

From:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:05:24 -0400
There are no democracy's in the Middle East, Israel is like Iran a theocracy

joe

--------------------

Explain.  The people in Iran do not get to vote, right?  The people
in Israel do vote, right?

--------------------

I have no doubt that the absence of freedom is a prime motivator for the use
of terrorism unfortunately one's freedom very often is in conflict with
another's freedom. There must be some way in the clash of freedoms can be
resolved. GWB and company I suspect we're attempting to try a different
approach (as you pointed out) however attacking Iraq didn't and doesn't in
any way resolve the clash of freedoms which is the source of conflict in the
Middle East.

Terrorism is a strategy and because of that war cannot be declared on it and
it cannot be defeated. Terrorism is not a person, group of people nor a
country. Action can be taken against the use of terrorism and the people and
groups that use it however those actions must include much more than the
military force.

--------------------

The attack on Afghanistan did put a crimp in the terrorist plans of the
Taliban.  Some already existing terrorist cells have been activated as
a result, but that would have happened sooner or later anyway.  This
terrorism as a result of lack of freedom doesn't wash with me.  Terrorism
exists because there are people who plan and intitiate terrorist acts
from a place of safety.  They know how to do this, it is their job.
They do not want the conflict to end because they would then be out of
a job.  As far as Iraq is concerned, it remains to be seen what kind of
government will prevail there, if it is a stable democracy, then I expect
the 'terror' against other democracies to subside.