HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 1

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:02:59 -0400
>>> This is a fast Ethernet peer-to-peer network (supposedly ... the
>>> indicators on the switches and hubs all say that 100 Mbs is
>>> active, anyway). One thing I could do is install a switch part ways
>>> out to the other half of the building and have all the lines connect
>>> there to boost the signal? Will that work? I've also heard of
>>> repeaters to boost the signal.

Tom,

I don't know how old your hubs are but I recently started replacing hubs
with unmanaged switches (literally plug and play - no tables to maintain)
and that really cuts down on the collisions.  They have come down in price
too (@ $125 for a 24 port duplex 100MB switch for units from Linksys/Cisco
or SMC.  I'm sure HP has an equivalent too.)  It has made a large
improvement at the school when the computer lab is in full swing.  The
teacher can monitor the students' screens and that generates a lot of
traffic.  Having the full-duplex helps in some applications too.  The nice
thing is you don't have to do it all at once.  I would start with your
Internet access point and then move out to the problem areas - keep users
who do heavy transfers on one switch if possible for example.

Mark W.