SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2004

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:25:21 -0400
Reef Fish wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:29:16 -0500, Don Ward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Don,
>
>Weren't you the co-author of the Bible according to St. Nick which
>included the following commandment?
>
>*>  --When sending messages to the list, be sure to have your emailer
>*>  preferences set to PLAIN TEXT instead of HTML

HTML is more widely accepted now, but most MTAs that will try to ship
HTML will either let you configure it on a site by site basis, or else
give you a memu before you send.  I.e., Netscape/Mozilla warns that it
doesn't know to send HTML or not to the recipient.  You can say "plain
text" there and it will always come through, but not always aligned.
Text only can screw up some tabular data.  While I'm a text proponent,
you also have the option to send in "dual format" where the mailer user
agent can pick the text or HTML version (not sure how SHARK-L is, we
don't allow non-text attachments, but the one exception Listserv takes
is when you post ONLY in HTML format, it which case it will use the HTML
part to distribute.  There is a configuation to force/prefer plain text
if there is an optional multipart attachment, but don't recall if we
aren't or not.  I've been posting some HTML from my new laptop but
usually send it mixed.  It's an age-old war, and I'm not convinced it
shouldn't stay plain text, but there are some situations where some HTML
might be of some help (but never applications/zips/exes/etc which could
have viruses).

I'll send this one in "dual mode" - HTML folks should get HTML, and
otherwise plain text; but how close are we to accepting HTML mail among
the readership?  Then it would only have to be posted one way
(text/html).  My previous stance is hell no, nothing but plain text.
But I'm starting to lean and it's hard to tell where the bulk of the
readership is going.  At least the archives are in more-or-less text
only format.

Jeff
Jeff