SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2004

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:23:17 -0400
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:53:19 +0800, Bjorn Vang Jensen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
>> Talk about a single-trunk family tree!  It must be the envy
>> of all Tennesseans.
>
>Yeah, I bet Jeff Foxworthy could have a field-day with Pitcairners :-)

Speaking of comedians, I attended an evening show on the ship in which
I've seen the all time WORST supposed-comedian performed -- I mean
all time worst among all professionals AND amateurs.  What happened
was that one night the ship was too "rocky" for the dancing "New
York, New York" show and they had to come up with some last minute
substitute. :-)   I could have stood up there and told Foxworthy
jokes better than whatever he did -- but perhaps not, the Red-neck
jokes just might be too "deep" in this part of the world.

>> Hey Bjorn, what's this work-related galivanting in Oz?  The
>> last I heard you were getting a job in Shanghai, and was
>> mailing me the book you misplaced on "The Man who loved
>> Mathematics".  Will I get the book when I get home?  Will you
>> be forever exiled in Oz like Strike?  :-)
>
>I am still based in Singapore, and hopefully will be for a long time.
>However, I am responsible for Asia/Pacific, with the main areas of activity
>(read: manufacturing) being China, Thailand, Australia, and - as of the end
>of this month - India. I could have done without the latter, it being one
of
>my least favorite destinations of all time, but at least I get to do
>Australia fairly frequently to make up for it!

Glad to hear that you're just trying to conquer the entire Austral-
Asian-Indo-Pacific area, rather than just China.  :-)  I thought for
a minute I had lost my job as a statistical forecaster's consultant. :-)))

Sue said it was SNOWING in Sydney about a week ago.  :-)

>Thanks for reminding me about the book, I had clean forgotten about it. I
>have just placed it in my briefcase, so I won't forget again. It goes in
>the mail on Monday.
>
>Bjorn

I mis-recalled the name of the book.  It was "The Man Who Loved Numbers",
not Mathematics -- but then he might have loved numbers, he certainly
married and went to bed every night with Mathematics.

Thanks.  What ELSE do you carry along to Oz?   :-)  I look forward to
reading this book some after my return from this cruise.

Da Feeesh.