SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2004

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:07:52 +1000
Thanks to a following tail wind, Bjorn's flight from Singapore arrived
early.  Checking into his hotel just long enough to sort out his dive gear
and assemble the camera - and stopping en-route to pick up Huw - we headed
off to .... Shelley Beach.  :-)

Sheltered from the south-easterly swells by the headland, the water inside
the bay was calm.  But with the combined effects of a low tide, rain washoff
from the land, and a moderate swell, the vis was reduced.

At the outer reefs - around the headland and out to sea - the groundswell
was noticable, but we still managed to see a few Port Jackson sharks still
hanging around at the end of the breeding season, and a Weedy Seadragon!
Regrettably the big blue groupers were nowhere to be seen, buthere were a
few schools of ladderfin pomfrets to compensate! :-))

While Huw had remembered the Tim-Tams, I had forgotten to bring the coffee,
so after changing, we chugged back here for some warming red wine, a BBQ,
and some more wine, until we were joined by Suzanne and Sylvia, for some
more wine!  :-)

It was a great afternoon/evening with good company.  But I did learn a
valuable lesson:  Dipping hot chilli's in chocolate is not recommended.  The
chocolate holds the heat in the mouth!!!!  :-)))

Strike