HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 5

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:57:35 EDT
It appears that HP didn't even bother to wait for Interex to take the vote
that would allow it to commit suicide willingly, and in the process become just
another HP promotional mechanism. The following announcement appeared on the
BusinessWire this afternoon (If you're unaware of the BusinessWire, it's an
organization designed to allow corporations to put public relations announcements
out to the world in the form of thinly-disguised news items):

Wirt Atmar

Updated: 03:09 PM EDT
HP to Host Unified Technical Users Conference in 2005 as Showcase for
Adaptive Enterprise Strategy

PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--07/28/2004-- Conference Attendees from
Across HP's Customer Base to Benefit from Training and Education Certified by HP

HP (NYSE:HPQ) (Nasdaq:HPQ) today announced plans for a new technical users
conference in September 2005 to be led by HP.

HP also reaffirmed its strong support as the Premier Sponsor of HP World 2004
in Chicago and David Parsons, vice president, enterprise segment marketing -
Americas, Customer Solutions Group, was named the executive sponsor of the
Encompass and Interex user groups. HP World 2004 runs Aug. 16 - 20.

For the first time, the 2005 conference will unite the education and training
across HP's broad base of user groups - systems integrators, value-added
resellers, independent software vendors, HP Certified Professionals and partners -
alongside HP's technical presales teams. The conference will instruct
technical users in the Americas in how to help companies synchronize business and
information technology (IT) in order to embrace change, accelerating the journey
toward becoming Adaptive Enterprises.

"Creating a brand new technical users conference hosted by HP is a natural
evolution of our strategy to provide one 'face' to our customers," said Parsons.
"Most of our users have multiple HP solutions running in their IT
environments. By coalescing the various HP user events under one roof, we can provide
training direct from HP that goes beyond any single technology area to reflect
the real-world data centers of our customers."

In planning for the 2005 event, HP is reaching out to all of its major user
groups to participate. Encompass has already pledged its collaboration on the
2005 event, and discussions are still in progress between HP and the other user
groups.

"We are looking forward to HP World next month in Chicago and are excited to
support HP in its plans for a new technical event in 2005," said Kristi
Browder, president, Encompass. "User-focused, quality content remains our highest
priority. We confidently anticipate that Encompass members will continue to
benefit from a dynamic user community and quality networking opportunities at next
year's event and beyond."

HP plans to provide further information on the 2005 technical user conference
location and date in the coming weeks.

About HP

HP is a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and
institutions globally. The company's offerings span IT infrastructure, personal
computing and access devices, global services and imaging and printing. For the four
fiscal quarters ended April 30, 2004, HP revenue totaled $76.8 billion. More
information about HP is available at www.hp.com.

This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks,
uncertainties and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical
fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Risks,
uncertainties and assumptions include the possibility that the market for the
sale of certain products and services may not develop as expected; that
development and performance of these products and services may not proceed as
planned; and other risks that are described from time to time in the Quarterly Report
on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended Jan. 31, 2004, and other Securities
and Exchange Commission reports, filed after the Annual Report on Form 10-K
for the fiscal year ended Oct. 31, 2003. HP assumes no obligation and does not
intend to update these forward-looking statements.

(C) 2004 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained
herein is subject to change without notice. HP shall not be liable for
technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.

CONTACT:HP Don Gentile, 408-447-4410 [log in to unmask] or HP Media Hotline,
866-266-7272 [log in to unmask] www.hp.com/go/newsroom or Burson-Marsteller for HP
Brandy Baxter, 415-591-4045 [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: HP