HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 5

From:
"Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:37:21 -0700

Well, a couple of thoughts [and some recent investigation...]

  1) this is the MB foster ODBC driver, not minisoft's
  2) the oracle part is a red-herring -- the list of key values that will be used in the second query is returned just fine; the problem stems from when the list gets overly large

I wrote a quickie to test a few things out, and although I know this is not a "real" situation, I'm finding a VERY interesting result!  Basically, I wrote a program to retrieve "all" the possible key values in one recordset; I then loop through that recordset adding one more key to an ever growing list of keys and try the second query.

With fewer than 100 entries, the retrieval time is 3 seconds or less

when the entries in the list reach 127, the retrieval time suddenly jumps to 80+ seconds! [ok, maybe there is something seriously wrong with one particular entry in the database and I hit it "just then", but that's a rather odd coincidence...  I'm going to scramble the source list to see if it is a particular entry or not...]  Sometime between 225 and 250 entries, the ODBC call fails altogether