HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 4

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:09:18 -0700
--- Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would be perfectly content to not allow civil "gay marriage" if all
> governments (Federal, State, and Local) were prevented from offering any
> benefit on the basis of marital status.  Of course, then there would be no
> need for anyone to be married except for in a religious sense, and gay
> folks already have access to that.

Adam, I agree with you, but it is not all benefit (take the marriage tax).  And
as a husband and father, I was told I was not allowed access to some pregnacy
test results (4th child in as many years).  It appears that some husbands have
abused thier wives, now I am guilty until proven innocent.  My wife had to sign
a form granting me permission to have access.

Becareful what you wish for.

> >     Craig is just advocating what, IIRC I was taught our country was
> >founded on.... and that is the concept of "La Saz Faire" (somebody help me
>
> It's "Laissez Faire" :) and a slew of anti-trust legislation exists to
> show that it doesn't work particularly well (at least not in its
> original "hands completely off" form).
>
> You might look at http://www.bartleby.com/65/la/laissezf.html for more
> information.

Very interesting link, thanks.