HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 4

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:48:11 +0200
The legal problem may be more with the OS licences (MPE on one side, HP-UX
on the other) than with the hardware itself. After all, many a part number
is carried over from the 3000 to the 9000 side of the divide, or vice versa.

That being said, the "hawk" (9*9, Kittyhawk, Firehawk, Mohawk ...) card cage
as I know it has sufficient slot space for 6 CPUs, and that includes a power
supply swap to go from 4 to 6 CPUs. So if you really need more than 6 CPUs,
there is no way a Hawk card cage can accommodate them all.

That being said, you may find a few ways to circumvent the limitation. The
996/800 has an MPE performance index of 21, and the 989KS250 (a.k.a.
9000-K580 2-way) has a perf index of 21.3. The complete MPE perf matrix is
available on the OpenMPE website (http://www.openmpe.org).

Assuming you can lay your hands on two good working K580 CPUs, there are two
more issues you've got to work on :

1) Reconfigure your 9000 CPUs to enable them to boot MPE. By default, they
can't, period. This requires an MPE HP-proprietary utility that is not
licensed to non-HP users. A few people on this list have been in trouble
with HP Legal for being suspected of using that utility outside HP's strict
license agreement.

2) Get your CPUs licensed for MPE. This is obviously easier said than done.
It is comparable to an issue that has been raised, among else, in the
OpenMPE forum under the denomination "allow old HP9000 equipment to be
converted into HP3000 equipment" (quoting from memory, had to swap in a long
dormant context, may not be word for word).

There may also be I/O differences between a 3000 and a 9000 Hawk cardcage.
To the best of my knowledge, the 3000 only supported NIO, whereas the 9000
also supported HSC. I'm not sure how that exactly affects system operation.
If one needs an HSC driver to configure a card into sysgen, that may be a
showstopper.

I'm available for more comment on the issue, if appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Christian Lheureux