HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 3

From:
Andrew Cartledge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Cartledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:42:48 -0400
It's been a while since I've had to do this so I'm a bit rusty so any help
gratefully received, but...

On connecting over a socket using IPC it appears to taking approx 10 second
to resolve the name in my program to an IP address. I've the address in my
HOSTS.NET file. (on another system its in the blink of an eye)

I'm doing IPCDEST, IPCCONNECT, IPCRECEIVE etc. Displays show me it's the
IPCDEST that takes the time. The rest flys along.

It may be a wider network issue but has anyone any clues what could be
causing the delay. I'm not exactly sure what the DEST bit does, if it is
going out onto the network as well to see if there is the address out there
I guess various firewalls could be causing the holdup.

I've modified my NMMGR/NS config to disable Probe, but it make no
difference. Any pointers appreciated.