HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:09:19 -0500
Tony Tiger <[log in to unmask]> (an alias) wrote:

Im a regular poster using a alias.  I want this to go out to all members
currently with the fight of the bush and the kerry.  I dont want flame
so I using diffrenet email.

&&&&

In his memoirs, "A World Transformed," written five years ago, George
Bush, Senior, wrote the following to explain why he didn't go after
Saddam Hussein at the end of the Gulf War: "Trying to eliminate
Saddam...would have incurred incalculable human and political costs.
Apprehending him was probably impossible.... We would have been forced
to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq.... there was no
viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our
principles.

Furthermore, we had been consciously trying to set a pattern for
handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying
Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would
have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression
that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United
States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly
hostile land"

If only his son could read.

--------
If only you:
1) had identified yourself, not hidden behind an alias;
2) I guess you've forgotten about a little event on 9-11-01? An overt
attack on U.S. soil by a terror group with world-wide reach changes the
prospects for political and/or military response (at least for some).