HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:07:59 -0700
Hi Bruce :)
    I agree with the concept of preconcieved stereotypes... and it could be
a problem... 'course I do remember being detained at a border crossing back
in '92... because the border guards politely pointed out that "people like
me always have weapons in their vehicle"... I politely told them I had
checked with their consulant in Seattle as to what I could have on board my
vehicle while crossing the border and had made sure that all I had were
some basic tools for changing a tire and fixing any minor engine problems
like leaking hoses and loose belts...

    Those border guards were quite polite but still spent over an hour
checking out my 4x4 pickup from bumper to bumper and all my bags... and all
the time kept asking me about the weapons I own... They were quite
surprised that they didn't find any weapons... in a vehicle with a Infantry
Regimental Crest sticker on the side window... after all they knew about
those U.S. Infantry types...

    After a few days at a class at Robelle, I headed back... figuring the
U.S. Border guards would give me the same treatment... when asked for I.D.,
I showed my military ID card ... and was asked the usual question about
what I had bought and was bringing home... they then told me to drive safe
heading home... and to scoot... total time: about 2 minutes...

    Yes, I can understand that preconceptions about people can cause
inconveniences but... I also didn't mind the extra hassle, even back in
'92, ... it kept people safer...

Art "just ramblin' while reindexing databases " Bahrs
Art Bahrs, CISSP           Information Security          The Regence Group
(503) 553-1425              FAX (503) 553-1453

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           "Bruce Collins"      |
|         |           com>                 |
|         |           Sent by: "HP-3000    |
|         |           Systems Discussion"  |
|         |           DU>                  |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           07/02/2004 01:15 PM  |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           "Bruce Collins"      |
|         |                                |
|         |           |-------------------||
|         |           | [ ] Secure E-mail ||
|         |           |-------------------||
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                          |
  |      To:    [log in to unmask]                                                                                       |
  |     cc:                                                                                                                  |
  |     Subject:      Re: [HP3000-L] OT: A nation of snitches                                                                |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A number of people responded that this was similar to successful programs
such as "Neighbourhood Watch".

The title for this post was taken from the CATO institutes comment in the
article itself. The "disturbing" comment was mine, and was based on remarks
such as this one in the article:

After the session in Little Rock, two newly initiated Highway Watch members
sat down for the catered barbecue lunch. The truckers, who haul hazardous
material across 48 states, explained how easy it is to spot "Islamics" on
the road: just look for their turbans. Quite a few of them are truck
drivers, says William Westfall of Van Buren, Ark. "I'll be honest. They
know
they're not welcome at truck stops. There's still a lot of animosity toward
Islamics." Eddie Dean of Fort Smith, Ark., also has little doubt about his
ability to identify Muslims: "You can tell where they're from. You can hear
their accents. They're not real clean people."

We have Neighbourhood Watch programs in Canada as well (we just spell it
different :-), but I recall a time when the neighbourhood that I lived in
was getting a reputation for drugs and prostitutes and besides
Neighbourhood
Watch a somewhat more aggressive (almost vigilante) group sprang up that
was
patrolling the streets and harassing people who seem to be loitering. I
found them disturbing as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.