HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:31:19 -0400
Denys wrote:
> The denial on the part of Dick Cheney that Yosef talks about, has to do
> with the contention expounded by some people in the press, but not
> President Bush or Vice-President Cheney or the administration in
> general, that Iraq was behind 9/11.  Nobody in the administration has
> ever said that Iraq was behind 9/11, however many people have
> incorrectly attributed such to the administration.

In the speech to the joint session of Congress that President Bush gave
after 9/11 (September 20, 2001) the U.S. public finally LEARNED the term "Al
Qaeda", despite all of the events surrounding the first WTC bombing.  The
President made it very clear what were going to be the next actions of the
United States.  Most people can quote one line of this speech but they don't
recall the full import of the statement and its context.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/20/gen.bush.transcript/

"We will direct every resource at our command -- every means of diplomacy,
every tool of intelligence, every instrument of law enforcement, every
financial influence, and every necessary weapon of war -- to the destruction
and to the defeat of the global terror network.

Now, this war will not be like the war against Iraq a decade ago, with a
decisive liberation of territory and a swift conclusion. It will not look
like the air war above Kosovo two years ago, where no ground troops were
used and not a single American was lost in combat.

Our response involves far more than instant retaliation and isolated
strikes. Americans should not expect one battle, but a lengthy campaign
unlike any other we have ever seen. It may include dramatic strikes visible
on TV and covert operations secret even in success.

We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive
them from place to place until there is no refuge or no rest.

And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism.
Every nation in every region now has a decision to make: Either you are with
us or you are with the terrorists.

From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support
terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime. Our
nation has been put on notice, we're not immune from attack. We will take
defensive measures against terrorism to protect Americans. Today, dozens of
federal departments and agencies, as well as state and local governments,
have responsibilities affecting homeland security."

I remember this speech like it was yesterday.  It was a new era in American
history.  I don't know where the notion that Bush said that Iraq was behind
9/11 or that the war on terror would only be against one country or another
because the intent of President Bush was clearly stated in this speech.