HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:26:36 -0500
Behalf
> Of Denys Beauchemin
> Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 7:41 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Virtual Promotion
>
> I have been hearing a lot about VMWare and other similar products
> lately.  I personally have no experience with them, probably because I
> have never felt a need for that technology.
>
> I support several (many) sites and small companies with various sizes
of
> Windows-based network and their attendant problems.  I have yet to see
> need for VMWare or its ilk, though I am sure it exists, somewhere.

Actually I could not imagine being without it.

On my development machine I use MS Virtual PC 2004, it comes with my
MSDN subscription, and so I can isolate my development environments when
working on multiple projects while also providing a clean testing
environment. I have virtual machines for VS 6, VS.NET and HP Development
saved so that anytime I have a new project I copy 2 files and have a
fresh, clean development environment ready for me to begin work.

Not to mention my test server virtual machine that allows me to write
code as if I were accessing data/services on another physical server
while sitting in an airport lobby with no network connection.

On the server side I would use VMWare as it is more robust than MS
Virtual PC.

It has made disaster recovery a snap since in the event of a disaster
all we need to do is install Windows Server on a new PC, install VMWare
and copy the backup virtual machine files to the server. Then with 1
click of a mouse we have our fully configured Active directory,
database, web, file servers up and running.

And if you have ever tried to restore and active directory database
created on an IBM server to a Compaq server, you will appreciate the
virtualized hardware even more.

I expect that most server Operating systems will incorporate this
technology in the near future to overcome many of the instability issues
they currently face.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... etc.