HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
"Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:19:06 -0700
> From: F. Alfredo Rego
>
> Also, if you place the file in the "listf.vesoft" group, there is
> no need to use the "^" before the "list format file".

Ummm... "yes, but..." this is akin to writing a nifty utility that you've placed in the PUB group of the SYS account, then expecting it to be there after the next upgrade :)

The VEsoft installation routine won't make any presumptions about the content of any VESOFT groups, so if you've stored your own favorite listf variant in that group, three things could happen because of an upgrade:

   1) nothing -- you get lucky and get to keep the variant (for now)
   2) the install wipes the group prior to installing anew -- you lose your variant (until you restore from a backup)  [which, btw, is what I think the install does for the most part...]
   3) VEsoft creates a variant and chooses the same name as one of yours -- not only do you lose your variant, but there won't be a place to "put it back" after the upgrade.

Placing them in the LISTF.VECSL group has similar risks, at least for case #3, however I would think the VECSL installer is less likely to "clear" the previous contents of the group.  Of course, by contributing your particular variant back to VEsoft they might actually place it in the VECSL account and then you're pretty much set from then on. :)