HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
John Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:52:25 -0500
At 11:30 AM 7/1/04 -0500, Baker, MikeAMG wrote:
>Rich did these files from cstm, I think sall, info and il and saved them to
>files, I guess that is supposed to show all the firmware's.  He said that
>typically, if you have a drive go bad, the drive you get from service will
>probably have the latest and greatest firmware, so that would be a problem
>if it's going to make the VA7100 take longer to rebuild if the firmware's
>are not all the same.  I would guess that is the issue with us, since it
>took 14 hours to rebuild (and performance was crap for the 14 hours) both
>times when drives went bad.

Which is why you need a hardware support provider and hardware vendor who
understand hardware issues.  If you're blindly buying hardware off the
street from vendors who don't know about firmware issues, then expect
problems.  All hardware is not the same.  As you see above, 2 disk drives
could have the same part number but not be compatible with your system.
This has long been true, but many don't know it.  They just assume that if
the part number matches, then the part is the correct one.

John Lee
Vaske Computer Solutions