HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:49:42 -0500
 Gates, Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Has anybody seen these errors before?  We're getting them on multiple LDEVs.

> We're running an N-4000 with 7.5. We use MINISOFT's NETPRINT.  Printer 308
> is an old TI8920 line printer that has worked for years on a JetDirect.

> 14:26/375/Output spooler, LDEV #308:  The file system reported a device
> error during header processing.
> Native Mode Spooler message 9539

Usually with programs like NETPRINT it's that program that sends your
output to the printer over the network rather than MPE, and generally
the LDEV is a "virtual" device configured on a fake DTC or something
that's just there to provide a place to create and queue spoolfiles
from which NETPRINT (or whatever tool you use) can pick it up and
send it to the printer.

But your messages appear to be MPE network spooler messages that
indicate MPE iteself is trying to sent the output to the printer,
in which case you wouldn't normally need a 3rd party spooling
product and would just be using MPE's built-in network printer
support.

Is there a chance that MPE shouldn't be trying to print these itself
at all, and that someone has just lowered the outfence on your
virtual printer ldevs (which happen to be contigured as network
printers so that MPE has a way to *try* to print them when the
outfence becomes low enough)?

G.