HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 4

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:37:57 -0400
Rather than being disagreeable, and since only six of today's postings have
been on topic, I decided to belatedly add a thought to an old topic. Wirt
had recommended the movie "October Sky", and I had agreed. It is a great
movie, especially for families with younger teenaged boys.

There is a book upon which this movie was loosely based, "Rocket Boys",
which, for those who are wondering about my recommendation, does include
some fascinating women. Among these are the main character's and author's
mother, and Dorothy, with whom the main character studies, in pursuit of his
crush on her. Ironically, Dorothy winds up getting a seat in a class which
Homer, the author, had sought. The book also expands on the role of Miss
Riley, the science teacher who played a major role in spurring Homer on in
his interests. The book tells a very different story from the movie, and a
compelling one, although I would recommend it only for older teenagers,
because I'm a bit of a prude. Read it first, and form your own opinion about
its appropriateness. Not that long ago, our local library featured the book,
and hosted screenings of the movie. We had already seen the movie, and my
wife and oldest boy and I read the book.

Greg Stigers, MCSA
this space for rent