HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:13:14 EDT
ehab writes:

> What is the windows application that I should open my PCL files and
>  execute the commands in it ? I tried notepad,wordpad,winword all of
>  them do not execute PCL commands . I do not have printers options from
>  dos editor whcih is the only opener that execute the PCL commands
>  files ..Help please .Do not tell me to install new apllications I am
>  searching an existense one .

OK, I won't tell you to install a new applications program. The existing
program you need to use, surprisingly, is the Reflection terminal emulator, which
has a check box, "bypass Windows printer driver."

If you print text from a standard editor, Windows doesn't print directly to
the printer. Rather it creates a metafile, which is then handed off to the
printer driver written by the manufacturer of whatever printer you're using, where
the metafile will be converted into PCL or PostScript commands. If you're
expecting your original PCL code to be executed by the printer, you're always
going to be disappointed in the result, as you've found out.

The answer is that you need to invoke Windows "transparent" printing, where
your text is not converted into a Windows metafile/PCL or PostScript stream,
but rather it's fed to the printer as is. The only program that I know that you
can do this from directly -- without writing your own code -- is Reflection,
but there are probably others.

Wirt Atmar