HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 3

From:
"Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:12:19 -0700
> From: donna garverick [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> --- "Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I'm getting the following error [ ...]
> > isql=> SELECT * FROM VFDS02.DBFL39;
> > IMAGE/SQL error 160; TurboIMAGE error 62; TurboIMAGE
> intrinsic 409, [...]
>
> intrinsic 409 is 'dblock'...so i'm reading this as your select had a
> problem establishing the lock.  [...]
> all this makes me think you've got a misbehaving application
> out there?

hmm... "misbehaving..." -- well, the clue above is the command prompt; I was *IN* isql at the time.

>  maybe a hung session that's holding a lock?    - d 'puzzled too'

not that I know of -- I was later able to do this by getting out of and reconnecting via isql.  As far as these database(s) are concerned, most of the access is via ODBC, though there is also some Oracle-gateway access and a smattering of cobol [batch & online VIEW programs]; all database access is mode 1 or mode 5.

I had originally tried a moderately-complex query [crossing a couple of datasets]; both are detail sets with a common field.  Specifying everything in a single command consistently generated the error; by creating a "view" *and* performing a retrieval that exercised that view I was able to get the subset I wanted.  Paraphrased slightly, this is what I ended up doing:

   create view x (key1,subkey,title,code)
    as select a.key,b.key,a.title,a.code
    from db.set1 a, db.set2 b
    where a.key = b.altkey;

   select * from x; <<then press 'B' once the result is displayed>>

   select * from x where code='S';

If I didn't do that intermediate select, I'd get the above errors.  By performing the select [and chaining through to the end], I could get the data I wanted.