HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 3

From:
Bob McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:16:41 -0600
Looking for a bit of guidance here. We are beginning to transition to an AD environment for our school district.

We have various servers that are currently not members of the AD domain. I want to add them to the new domain but would like a better feel that I'm right in my plan. I think since the services are already running on the machine that they'll continue to run on the server once I move it into the domain as they are different services than what my AD domain are serving.

Example: One of them is our DHCP/WINS server that is outside of the domain currently. I want to add it to the domain. I think I can just add it to the domain and the services it provides will continue because they are already referenced by IP to the IP of the box, AD should not get in the way.

For the user, I just need to make sure whatever user we login in with to the AD env, is in the Administrators local group so they have authority to make changes on the server. Also that the existing users for services should work as they do now once I migrate to the AD domain.

I hope this makes sense. Any enlightenment that can be shared would be appreciated.

bob