HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 1

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:12:49 -0400
One responder (who shall remain anonymous) said to print
out the PCL font sheets on both printers and adjust
accordingly.

That's identifies the problem but not the solution.

Yes the LaserJet 4+ 3of9 bar code escape code starts with:

<esc>(0Y

The 8000 ROM DIMM bar code Slot 2 escape code starts with:

<esc>(9Y

So right off the bat, the printers use two diff. escape codes.

His suggestion is true.  However that would mean recompiling
a different legacy subroutine for (for each several dozen
subroutines that use bar codes) for both printers since the
escape codes are hard coded in the source program.  Not to
mention training the users when using this printer run this
program, when using that printer run that program.

The output is from a legacy program, they are both near-legacy
LaserJets.  I'm befudded as to why they are different.  HP
should have made the escape codes the same.  It doesn't make
sense.

Now I'm hoping there is a way fool to the LaserJet into
accepting the one escape sequence and interpreting it
as the other so I don't have to change my programs.

BT

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors