UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Boris Belinskiy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boris Belinskiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:55:43 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

It is SUMMER. Yet, we continue our Colloquium in the Math Department.

*************************

Boris Belinskiy,

Math Department, UTC

Tuesday, June 22, EMCS 232, 2:00pm.

Control of a string: some new developments and open problems

Abstract

It is well--known that the problem of exact controllability for the wave
equation with constant (in time) parameters may be reduced to a moment
problem for non--harmonic exponential functions. We consider a string
with parameters that are varying in time. As a result, our moment
problem is rather unusual. So far, we are able to prove a
controllability result for a string under the ``slowly" varying tension.
We formulate some open problems.

Boris P Belinskiy

Department of Mathematics, Dept. 6956

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga