UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Kim Edward Renz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Edward Renz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:41:19 -0400
>It's here: Dalton Little Theatre goes where no local theatre dares.

Here is information on the midnight benefit performance of Rocky Horror on
June 19th. If you prefer light-hearted musical comedy over 70's Rock 'n'
Roll, you might head down to our neighbor to the South for a party with the
cast followed by the closing performance, designed to raise funds for
upgrades to the facility.

The show opens this Thursday.

> [...]
>a special midnight party performance following the regular June 19 show.
>Call the theater at (706) 226-6618 for reservations.
>

>Rocky Horror party raises money for theater upgrades
>
>How many shows give audiences the chance to dress up, too?
>
>In the tradition of Rocky Horror, Dalton Little Theater is presenting a
>special midnight performance to benefit renovations of its home, The Old
>Fire House ‹ and audiences will get to join in the fun.
>
>Beginning at 11 p.m. on Saturday, June 19, "The Rocky Horror Show"
>festivities will kick off with a costume party. People are encouraged to
>come dressed as their favorite Rocky Horror character.
>
>There will be refreshments, hors dıoeuvres and soft drinks at the party
>before the show begins at midnight.
>
>Only 85 tickets will be sold for the event on a first come first served
>basis. They are $25 and must be prepaid. There will be no reservations or
>money taken at the door for the midnight performance.
>
>Other performances on June 10-12 and June 17-19 will be at 8 p.m. and will
>be $12  or $10 for members, students or seniors. Reservations are
>recommended for these shows and money will be accepted at the door.
>
>All proceeds of the midnight performance will benefit Dalton Little
>Theatreıs Capital Fund for upgrades and renovations to the Old Fire House.
>
>"We're in the process now of painting and recarpeting the entrance,
>stairwell and upstairs to make the entire building a place we are proud to
>call home," said theater board co-president Kim Gavin. "We've had some
>generous donations of carpet from The Mohawk Group and paint from Home
>Depot, for which we are grateful. But there is still installation and
>labor to be covered, and there are projects to be done in the theater
>itself. So every bit helps."
>
>The city of Dalton recently turned over the building to the theater, which
>had leased the building for years.
>
>Richard O'Brien's stage play made its U.S. debut the summer of 1974 at the
>Roxy Theater in Los Angeles. A rock musical spoof of the sci-fi and horror
>genres, "The Rocky Horror Show" tells the story of a wholesome young
>couple, whose car breaks down one dark and stormy night. In search of a
>telephone, they discover the castle of Frank N. Furter, a transvestite
>from Transylvania, who has discovered the secret to creating life.
>
>The staging of the show in Dalton is a rare opportunity for locals who
>have loved the show for years. A trip to Atlanta would have been required
>to see the show in years past.
>
>"People who miss this show will be missing mature humor and live
>entertainment presented in an upbeat rockınıroll style that most Dalton
>theater audiences are not used to seeing," Director Jeff Adair said.
>
>Dalton Little Theatre is located at 210 N. Pentz St., Dalton. To purchase
>tickets for the midnight party show and to make reservations for all other
>performances, call DLT at (706) 226-6618.

Kim Edward Renz, Director
Patten Performances, UTC Fine Arts Center
Department 1351, 615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37403-2598
[log in to unmask]  www.utc.edu/finearts
Office: 423-425-4379  Fax: 423-425-5249