UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Brent Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:13:04 -0400
Whether local theaters decide to play Michael Moore's movie
or not is hardly an example of repressed speech or censorship.
Michael Moore has no more right to play his movie in a
privately owned movie theater than he does in my living room.
Business owners are well within their rights to  use economics
as well as moral, religious, or other reasons to decide what they
choose sell in their stores.  While, personally, I'm glad local
theaters decided to play "The Passion of the Christ," it would
not have been censorship had they refused.  Just as anyone has
the right to call and request Fahrenheit 9/11, they have the right
to refuse.

brent mitchell