SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2004

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:29:29 -0400
From: "Ray Jones"

> When I was in Truk Capt Lance said something that kinda surprised me. He
said
> hes never had anybody get bent on the deep dives but its the multiple
shallow
> dives that creep up and get you because of slow tissue loading.

Now that's an interesting concept, one that makes pretty good sense,
particularly given the slower ascent rates favored these days, including
deep stops and extended safety stops.  It seems quite possible that the
slower average ascent rates would be more effective at clearing out the
faster tissues, but might leave slower ones to do the damage.  If this is
true, it would seem that there are some pretty big holes in the way
computers handle hypothetial tissue compartments.

I can say that both times I got bent, it was after relatively long, but
relatively shallow dives.  The first time, it was two dives, both of which
involved some minor deco.  The second time, it was after a couple of days of
intense diving followed by a dive based on 32% that exceeded what my
computer would have allowed on the air that was actually in the tank.

On the other hand, the worst cases of bends I know the most about, were both
deep dives, both with what I would consider pretty serious violations of
table based deco requirements.

Lee