HP3000-L Archives

May 2004, Week 5

From:
Tracy P1erce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy P1erce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 14:29:56 -0700
I believe the environment file is prepended to your spoofle at print time,
which explains your having to mention it via ';env='.  What's probably
missing are two HP carriage control directives, which you no longer get to
see when you text the file.  Most likely this will work:
qe
/t o1234.out.hpspool (or just the # - qe feature)
/a 0.001
// or ^Y
/:file lp;dev=whatever;env=envfile
/lq lp @

Note that the C & A characters are in the CCTL byte which will most likely
appear as a blank in most of your file, other than a few 1's on your
headlines.

The C & A records are to override the (assumed HP 256x or similar) printer's
defaults of print-then-advance and (I think) auto-pagefeed after 60 lines.
Can't even remember which is which, but they're doc'd in the back of the old
MPE4(?) brown pocket guide; put em in and fly.

In the MPE 4 days, maybe 5 too, you'd see those two records in Spook, but
then they'd mysteriously disappear if you grabbed the file.  Then along came
MPE/XL, Spook went away, and these records' visibility got worse instead of
better.

Tracy Pierce