HP3000-L Archives

May 2004, Week 3

From:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 23:26:08 -0400
From: "Gates, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
> Face it, the people HERE who are put out of work by off-shoring aren't going
> to buy a lot of non-necessities. And the people there aren't going to buy
> western goods, because they are underpaid in addition to being heavily in
> debt to their own relatives.  Who ever thought that the arrangement was
> going to benefit anybody but the top levels of western corporations is
> seriously WRONG.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31972-2004May16.html

People don't seem to have noticed that, whereas India's poverty rate stuck
obstinately above 50 percent during the low-growth 1960s and 1970s, it is now
falling precipitously: To 36 percent in the government's household survey of
1993-94; to 29 percent in the next survey, six years later. The idea that the
countryside has not benefited is simply spurious. In the interval between the two
most recent surveys, rural poverty fell from 37 percent to 30 percent.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with globalization -- we can't seem to
appreciate the good things that it brings. Bhagwati's new book offers other
examples: He explains how globalization is good for women's rights, good at reducing
child labor, good for the environment. If only the globo-skeptics would spend less
time celebrating India's odd election and more time reading him.