HP3000-L Archives

May 2004, Week 2

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 12:17:02 -0400
I understand that if your 3000 can be brought down by scanning it with a
readily available commercial product, you want to know about it. I hope that
the memory dump you took will reveal the cause of these problems.

That said, Whatsup Gold (insert beer commercial joke here) is just supposed
to ensure that a system and certain services are available
<http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/WhatsUp/>. But see
<http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzzy/archive/getfuzzy-20040427.html> for
the logic problem this presents... I'm not sure that it is obvious where to
draw the line on using such products. Some systems don't need this kind of
monitoring, for a list of reasons that may not be worth trying to generate
here.

Greg Stigers, MCSA
this space for rent