HP3000-L Archives

May 2004, Week 2

From:
Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 17:44:11 -0500
Sounds like you may be having a gateway redirects problem. One symptom
is connections that have been working are randomly dropped and can't
reconnect. Run NETTOOL.NET.SYS as system manager and enter
NAMEADDR;ROUTING;GATELIST and you'll get a list of where your traffic
is going. You may see some IP addresses going to non-existant gateways.
These would be the IP addresses you say have been working before but
now don't work and your work-around has been to reassign new IP's to
the boxes. If you see this, exit NETTOOL and do a NETCONTROL
NET=LAN000;UPDATE=INTERNET (replacing LAN000 with your network name of
course). This should reset your gateway list and maybe solve your
problem for the moment.

The real problem in a situation the above solves is Cisco routers send
redirect directives that HP3000's pay attention to, without question
(and according to the standards). It's the Cisco equipment at fault.
They should be configured to not issued redirect command packets.

Hope this helps!
John Pitman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Well, I thought I had it licked. Since I changed hops to 3 (based on
seeing 3 routers in tracert), things seemed ok. Then came in Monday, 2
remote sites having trouble connecting...sort of. They can use email
and access web (through head office firewall), but as soon as they log
on to the hp (vt-mgr), they get welcome messages, main menu is fired up
by logon udc, end of conversation - no further data is seen, no
response, only exit is kill reflections. They should see the menu start
up dialogue asking for date, printer etc.

When this problem surfaced first, we changed MTU on the PCs down to
1400 on those that needed it. This time, we found some PCs hadn't had
their MTU changed, we did that and they worked. Other PCs that already
had their MTU changed, we only got working by changing their IP
address, which is the same thing we had to do to get spooled network
printers working again......

Is there a setting in VT-MGR or NMMGR that I need to look at? Is there
a way I can kill a spooler thread that has got hung up on a network
printer - took a long time for some printers to die and be able to
stopspool on them. We have had 250+ vt-mgr sessions before, and we
weren't up against that limit.

Help!!!!!!!
jp