HP3000-L Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 09:10:52 -0400
I thought it was about the war on terror.
If politicians and HP-managers would just speak a plain and simple
language ;-)

Bremer criticized Bush on terrorism before attacks
Thursday, April 29, 2004 Posted: 8:35 PM EDT (0035 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Iraq, said in
a speech six months before the September 11, 2001 attacks that the Bush
administration was "paying no attention" to terrorism.

"What they will do is stagger along until there's a major incident and then
suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized to deal with this,"'
said Bremer at McCormick Tribune Foundation conference on terrorism on
February 26, 2001.

Bremer spoke at the conference shortly after he chaired the National
Commission on Terrorism, a bipartisan body formed by the Clinton
administration to examine U.S. counterterrorism policies.

The remarks drew attention on the same day Bush and Vice President Dick
Cheney appeared before the September 11 commission to explain the
precautions they took to prevent a terrorist attack after taking office in
January 2001.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan did not comment on the Bremer remarks
directly.

But he said, "The actions we took prior to September 11 demonstrate that we
took the terrorist threat seriously. The first major foreign policy
directive was a comprehensive, aggressive strategy to eliminate al Qaeda."

The foundation is a charitable organization founded by Robert McCormick,
former editor and publisher of The Chicago Tribune.

At the speech, delivered in Wheaton, Illinois, Bremer, whose diplomatic
jobs included a stint as ambassador-at-large for counterterrorism, said a
war against terrorism would be unending.

"If you call it a war, you suggest there's a victory," he said. "I would
argue there is no final victory in the war against terrorism any more than
there is in the so-called war against crime."