UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Tyson Land <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tyson Land <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 11:44:54 -0400
And, yet, we are not cattle being called.  In his presentation at the
National Book Festival in Washington, D.C., a couple of years ago, David
McCullough stated that we have, as a society, lost too much of our
ceremonial practices.  He stated further that commencement ceremonies are
some of the last sacred rites that we can enjoy.  Regardless of one's
socio-economic background, one can adapt to doing what others do "when in
Rome" out of a sense of respect for the occasion and for others who are
there for the same joyous event.  Socio-economic status does not excuse
people from being polite.  To say otherwise is to say that people lacking
big purses of money are incapable and "less than" anyone who has been reared
in a middle or upper class environment.  Such implication simply holds no
truth.  Everyone is equal to the task of being quiet and serene in
commencement, in church, at funerals, in libraries, or just whenever someone
else is speaking.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with demanding a little
dignity on solemn occasions.

My parents were sitting in front of a group of people who kept yelling after
the same person throughout the duration of the ceremony, even many times
AFTER that person had crossed the stage.  That family, quite understandably,
was proud of their graduate.  But so were my parents, both from lower class
backgrounds.  They got to have the solemnity of the occasion bombarded every
couple of minutes by the shouts of the people behind them.  It doesn't
matter what sort of university this is.  It doesn't matter if people come
from places in hollars where the cattle call is a part of everyday life.
Most people are no longer raised in barns on the frontier and have the basic
ability to know there is a time and a place for everything.

Best to all,
Tyson.