UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 10:57:27 -0400
Russell Fowler wrote:
> One friendly correction. It is not "UT-Memphis." I have to correct this with the local newspaper often also. It is "The University of Memphis." U of M is not part of the UT system and never has been. It is a Board of Regents institution founded in 1912. Go Tigers!

To further clarify ... there *is* a UT campus in Memphis.  I believe
formally it is now known as the University of Tennessee Health Sciences
Center ... perhaps informally it is still called UT-Memphis.

There is also the University of Memphis, which Russell points out,
although I still have to catch myself from saying "Memphis State" as it
was known for many years.  Maybe one day they will change it back ... I
kept saying "Oakland Raiders" for years after them moved to L.A. and
they finally corrected me by moving back :)