UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Sandy-Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy-Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 12:04:49 -0400
Good afternoon,

Many of you have volunteered for Reality Check in Hamilton County schools
this year.  One of the early schools in our area that began to use Reality
Check, Rossville Middle School, is having their 3rd Annual Reality Check
next week.  The event will be Wednesday, May 12, from 7:30-11:00.

They need 30 volunteers.

For those of you who are not familiar with Reality Check it is a simulation
exercise designed to give students experience in paying bills after
completing some form of an education (dropping out of high school, high
school grad or college grad).

>Students are assigned a career and family scenario. They move through 13
>stations and make budget decisions: rent an apartment or buy a house; buy
>generic food or name brand food at the grocery; decide which utilities
>they can afford (cell phone, cable, etc); transportation-bus tickets or
>car payments, etc. Students even have the option of picking up a second
>job if they can't make ends meet. The volunteers staff the booths, record
>the student's decision and deduct it from their "checking account".
>
>The kids enjoy the change of pace and really get into the scenarios they
>have been assigned. They complain about not making enough money (if their
>card was a high school dropout, for example) and decide that maybe getting
>a college education is pretty important.
>
>If you would like to assist please let me know. We are trying to place 2
>volunteers at each of the 13 stations.

If you would like to contact the school directly, the teacher coordinating
the event is Susan Jones.  Her number is 866-2446.

Thank you,
Sandy

>Students are assigned a career and family scenario. They move through 13
>stations and make budget decisions: rent an apartment or buy a house; buy
>generic food or name brand food at the grocery; decide which utilities
>they can afford (cell phone, cable, etc); transportation-bus tickets or
>car payments, etc. Students even have the option of picking up a second
>job if they can't make ends meet. The volunteers staff the booths, record
>the student's decision and deduct it from their "checking account".
>
>The kids enjoy the change of pace and really get into the scenarios they
>have been assigned. They complain about not making enough money (if their
>card was a high school dropout, for example) and decide that maybe getting
>a college education is pretty important.
>
>If you would like to assist please let me know. We are trying to place 2
>volunteers at each of the 13 stations.
>
>This is a great simulation for any youth group middle school-high school,
>by the way.

>Reality check is a simulation exercise designed to give students experience
>in paying bills after completing some form of an education (dropping out of
>high school, high school grad or college grad).
>
>Students are assigned a career and family scenario. They move through 13
>stations and make budget decisions: rent an apartment or buy a house; buy
>generic food or name brand food at the grocery; decide which utilities they
>can afford (cell phone, cable, etc); transportation-bus tickets or car
>payments, etc. Students even have the option of picking up a second job if
>they can't make ends meet. The volunteers staff the booths, record the
>student's decision and deduct it from their "checking account".
>
>The kids enjoy the change of pace and really get into the scenarios they
>have been assigned. They complain about not making enough money (if their
>card was a high school dropout, for example) and decide that maybe getting
>a college education is pretty important.
>
>If you would like to assist please let me know. We are trying to place 2
>volunteers at each of the 13 stations.
>
>This is a great simulation for any youth group middle school-high school,
>by the way.
>
>Thank you
>Sandy

"Work like you don't need money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance
like no one is watching"

Sandy Cole
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Center for Community Career Education (Celebrating 23 years of service in 2003)
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN  37403
(423)425-4475 voice
(423)425-5282 fax