SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2004

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 17:43:52 -0400
Hi Poe,

>RM8 for Nasi Lemak isn't exactly cheap by Malaysian standards, unless it's
elaborate affair.

True, but we're talking about an airplane, not a street hawker. And the NL
was quite OK. But then again, the
NL was about 9% of the price of the flight. Guess that makes it expensive
again.

But AirAsia leaves from terminal 2 at BKI, there are no facilities there
and no chance to grab some food before the flight.
While T1 at BKI has lots of places these days.

>MAS is no better; the cancelled several flights whilst we were in Sabah
(one
to Tawau, one from KK to KL) due to too few passengers. I suspect it's
common in the more remote areas, as they don't expect you to be in a
hurry.<

I'll describe my experience in the next installment of the Sipadan report.

>There was a great Chinese restaurant near the port, past the main part of
town from the hotel district; did you try that one? <

Past? Which way, north or south? There's the well known Port View. I've
been there with Clement Lee and liked it a lot. I've also heard from
Malaysians who really disliked it and felt it was way overpriced and that
they were not treated
nicely because they were not personally known there. That one is north of
the Hyatt and Wisma Sabah on the water.

>As a matter of interest, is that carpark in Tawau that becomes an open air
eating square in the evenings still there? 40 stalls all selling pisang
goreng was quite a sight (the best turned out to be a shack next to the
airport)!<

I remember that there used to be a food court outside the Marco Polo Hotel.
Set up by the hotel once a week in the parking lot Lots of stalls with a
great variety.
That was an excellent place. I think that was also the only time I ever had
stingray. And did not like it.

But Tawau now has a new airport, about 1/3 of the way to Semporna. Cuts
down on the trip to Semporna, but now there
is little reason to overnight in Tawau, unless you want to go to Sangalaki.