HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 4

From:
"Gates, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gates, Scott
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:39:22 -0400
I suppose it could be because they can get barcode readers in places they
can't get a keyboard.  Also, I've seen keyboards that are used for Cantonese
characters--pretty much the same number of keys as a standard U.S. Keyboard,
but each key has 4 or more functions according to which control key you
press.

Here on the home front, there's a committee meeting to determine acceptable
values of a single character "Yes/No" flag.  Not the conditions in which
it'll be set, mind you, But whether "Y" = "YES" and "N" = "NO" on the data
file.  It's "Y/N" on the input screen--and will be "Y/N" when the data's
entered on the other side of the transaction.  I suppose a case COULD be
made for "1/0" but "Puh-leeze!".

I've been told to halt coding until the committee decides.

I suppose next week they'll be meeting to determine if the digit "1" = a
numeric ONE, "2" = two, etc etc.

Another place I worked at years ago had a "SEX" flag for it's customers bio
file--it had 7 acceptable values BEYOND "M" or "F"--including the fabled "Y"
and "N" which stood for "Youth" and "Not-reported" not "Yes/No".  I don't
remember the other values.

GEESH!  It's no wonder the rest of the world is kicking our @([log in to unmask]