HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 4

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:43:41 -0400
Michael Baier quoted in part:
> http://slate.msn.com/id/2099277/
> Page 182-83: Powell reveals that he detests Rumsfeld's circuitous
> manner of speaking-"One would think ."; "Some would say ."-which he
> dubs "third- person passive once removed."
Technically, that's a subjunctive, not a passive. I think by passive, Powell
means pronouns without antecedents, the unnamed, unidentified "one" or
"some", sort of like this friend who has this little problem with OT posts.

> Page 11: Bush as glutton:
I can think of a more scurrilous interpretation. Just as Reagan took to
Jelly Bellies to stop smoking, GWB started eating peppermints after he
stopped drinking. Or maybe formed the habit while drinking. I'm glad that
Slate read all this for me.

> Bush remembers and ad-libs the line.
I thought that Bush was a moron who couldn't give a speech if it weren't for
teleprompters.

I look forward to Mark Wonsil and Denys's treatments of this article. I'm
sure Denys's will be more insightful, and Mark's funnier.

Greg Stigers, MCSA
this space for rent