HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 4

From:
Dave Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:35:43 -0400
Tim,

While no rule covers everything, I have a different point of view.

Let's say, when you were hired 20 or 30 years ago the company made their
pension benefits part
of the sales pitch. Thereby making this part of the deal for employment.
Now, 20 or 30 years later,
your retired and you find out that this will be taken away.

My point of view is there was a deal made, and now the companies are wanting
to renig on their
agreement. You wouldn't want to do business with a company that would treat
their warrenty this
way. Yet there is little protection to those who accepted this package as an
employee.

I therefore don't see this as an issue of saving the company money, but
living up to an agreement.
Of course this will vary between companies and situations. I do know that
some of the places
I have worked really banged on their drums about this type of benefit.

And I do agree about CNN. I stopped watching their brand of propaganda some
time back.

Blessings