HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 4

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:11:29 -0400
Hello Brian,

RE: Upgrade

This sounds familiar, I think we have talked before.   The most common
cause for
version mismatch is when the system originally had "purchased"
NS-Services like
DSCOPY (NFT), OUTBOUND VT (DSLINE) or other services and then at a
later date/time these services are dropped from a contract.    The
typical result is
the old modules from 5.5 will still exist on disk and only the
"non-purchased" FOS
NS-Services like INBOUND VT will be updated to 6.5.

You will be able to see these *old* remains of the purchased 5.5
NS-services in
a :nmmaint,6 listing and you will see that the :nmmaint,6 reports a
version mismatch.

If you purged these files "NFT.NET.SYS" as an example, and then did a
:nmmaint,6
the result would be a "MISSING MODULE".

The actual solution is to purge the "NSSMAST.NET.SYS file, and then
stream the
JCONFJOB.NET.SYS.   That will prevent the :nmmaint,6 from looking at
these
old purchased NS-Services, will solve your version mismatch error when
trying to perform a :nscontrol start & :nscontrol stop and avoid you
having to
use the ";override" option which is unsupported and only for hp-internal
use...

Note: Running version mismatch of NS-Services can result in system
aborts, system
hangs, etc...  Oh, that is right you already mentioned that you had seen
that problem
(sorry for the sarcasm).  As you said earlier, this machine does not
have support and
you are not going to be calling hp about it anyway so I guess you need
not worry
about using the "override" option and since you have got the ns-services
partially
working, that must be good enough.  I guess there really is nothing to
worry or
complain about, well at least nothing to complain about.

OBTW:  >>Better have a *reliable* sysgen CSLT tape to recover from if
your
>> upgrade don't work correctly.

I do believe that is a "standard" documented HP recommended step as part
of the
upgrade procedure (sad to say a step I skipped in the past and paid the
price) to have
a CSLT and FULL system backup.  This would as far as I am concerned also
be a
"best" practice in the computing industry.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
  James Hofmeister
  Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
  Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
  P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.