HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:37:32 -0700
From Mike Baker:

>Hello.  Just wanted to verify that if we wanted to mirror our
>mpexl_system_volume_set, we would need to do that with a niki box or a mod
>20 (or another va7100) and that the mirroring would be done by the san and
>not mpe, correct?

Correct.

>can you set the va up to be just raid5, or raid 1+0, without the auto?

Sure.  Configure your LUNs with a capacity that does not exceed the capacity that would be used if everything were RAID-1, and everything will stay in RAID-1.  In other words, AutoRAID only moves thing to RAID-5 when it needs the space.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say your application "does not follow the standard rules", but using RAID-5 will always be slower than using only RAID-1.

>Also (expecting the answer "no"), can you use the expansion
>i/o slot on a 989ks450, the one in-between the hse slot that has the two
>opal's on it and the back two of the 4 processors (i.e., can we add another
>hse or more scsi slots to the thing and still have everything else work?).

You're right!  The answer is no.