HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 3

From:
Phil Yantis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Yantis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:39:48 -0400
You can do it using Vplus and Image with, maybe, a KSAM file thrown in. I
lead a project at Hughes Aircraft Co. that did it for close to 80,000
employees at one point using multiple networked HP3000s feeding the data
to a large IBM mainframe that ran the payroll system. Some entered their
own data and some submitted paper for data entry staff to input. This was
circa 1982. The system was still in use in 2001. By then virtually all of
Hughes Aircraft IT (people and computers) had been sold to CSC and were
still supporting the HAC systems. I even contracted with CSC , after I
left them in 1999 for International Rectifier, to provide some support.
There wasn't much to support by then because HAC was shrinking rapidly as
GM chopped it up and sold off the parts to the highest bidders. Now just
about the only part of HAC still recognizable and not incorporated into
some other company is, I think, Hughes Network Systems. Right, Chuck C?
But I digressed.
The main factor controlling the complexity and efficiency of the system
will most likely be the structure of your Image DB.
I'm not aware of any canned solutions for the HP3000 still on the market.
Phil

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:33:16 -0500, John Lee <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Dear HP 3000 List-
>]
>I'm forwarding this request for a friend of mine who's unable to list-
post.
> If you have ideas/suggestions or are a vendor with a solution and want to
>respond to me, I'll forward it on and, with permission, give you contact
info.

>Thanks.
>
>John Lee
>Vaske Computer Solutions
>

>I'm looking for a basic electronic timesheet system to
>>run on an HP3000.     I have a networked HP3000 and would like to have
300
>>users enter their timesheets validating their charged accounts against a
>>Turbo-Image database.     Currently, employees use an Excel timesheet
>>template without any validation.     Before planning on moving to a
project
>>cost accounting system 2 years from now and since I have a custom
designed
>>Cobol/Image system, I was wondering if there were options to consider or
>>how to implement an electronic timesheet system on the HP3000.     I
update
>>charged accounts twice a week and the Image database contains
approximately
>>12,000 records.     I would appreciate your help and suggestions.
Thank