HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 3

From:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:09:33 -0400
Cory Black writes,

I don't usually disagree with Donna, but I'm not seeing what she mentions.

"like i said in my original post....if your wild-carded file collection
(say: [log in to unmask]) picks up anything other than text files, grep
will abort.  it just doesn't know what to do with these files."

But a quick test on our 7.0 machine shows grep doesn't even complain about a
NMPRG file, and keeps running through a database with just a warning.

While grep may not abort, it's not going to provide any meaningful results
in these cases so you might as well skip them. The more interesting case
would be something like a message file.

I assume that grep probably wouldn't have any trouble reading through the
file searching for your text, but it would clear the contents of the file in
the process, which would probably be a bad thing. Hanging on end of file
could also be a problem.