HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 2

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:47:41 -0400
My Cobol program does a serial read thru a master (either an auto or manual)

     COPY DBGET OF DBMACROP.
     %DBGET(WS-BN-ACCESS-PATH-1#
           ,WS-BN-SET-NAME#
           ,I-MOD2#
           ,I-STAT#
           ,I-ALLI#
           ,WS-DB-BUFFER-1#
           ,I-PASS#)
     END-CALL.

I already know the offset and length of the key item from a previous call
to DBINFO mode 102 outside of the DBGET mode 2 loop.

If the key item is defined as an "X", "U" or "Z" type I have no problem
extracting the data value from the buffer WS-DB-BUFFER-1. Works great on
alpha type keys.

Different animal when I am working on masters whose key items are either
COMP or PACKED items.

My problem is on a manual master when the key item is not the first item in
the data set. My difficulty is trying to get the data value of the COMP key
item.

I have tried MOVEing WS-DB-BUFFER-1 (DBINFO102-OFFSET:DBINFO102:LENGTH)
to different types of fields in working-storage (X:length, N:length etc etc)
but can't seem to get the data values loaded correctly into a stand alone
working-storage COMP field.

I cannot assume I know the layout of the data set structure.

Any help would be appreciated from anyone who has BTDT....

TIA,

Brian Donaldson.