HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 1

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:11:26 -0400
>What are all the options we have available? We are just looking for the
>quickest way to repack the dataset to get rid of the delete chains.

When a new entry is added to a detail data set, TurboIMAGE/XL by default uses
the delete chain pointer, unless the pointer is zero or HWMPUT has been enabled.

The delete chain is a last deleted next used, linked list of free entries.
The HWMPUT option overrides the default and adds entries at the high water mark
until the max capacity is reached, then the delete space chain is used.

The drawback to using the delete chain is that it will generally cause DBPUTS
to be placed randomly creating extra disc IO. HPMPUT is not a permanent solution
but it can bridge the gap between repacks.

DBUTIL
enable dbname for hwmput
HWMPUT is enabled.

Mike