HP3000-L Archives

April 2004, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:32:14 -0600
At 03:25 PM 4/5/2004 -0400, Joshua Rhoads wrote:
>Is there an Utility on the HP3000 that will tell how If you have
>secondaries or how many you have?

<plug>

In addition to HowMessy (which has been mentioned by others), DBGeneral's
diagnostics will evaluate secondary entries in several ways.  The user is given
information on the number of secondaries, the average chain length for all
secondary
entries as well as the longest chain length.  In addition, the secondary
entries are
evaluated for their locality relative to adjacent entries within the chain
in an effort to
estimate the potential for I/O page faults.   Based upon this information
DBGeneral may
recommend that the dataset be reorganized in order to improve
performance.  However,
armed with this data, coupled with knowledge about how the data is
accessed/used,
will help the database administrator determine what may be the best course
of action.

<\plug>