UTCSTAFF Archives

April 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Joanie Sompayrac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanie Sompayrac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:45:54 -0400
I'll admit up front that I am not nearly as informed on the possible fall-out of dropping football and possible conference re-allignments as Jonathan Looney seems to be, but I do have a question that seems to be missing in this debate.  Instead of dropping football, would it be possible that we could go from Division I-AA to say, Division III, thus, not offering scholarships, but still fielding a team?  Doesn't Davidson do this?  Is this how they stay in the Southern Conference, or were they grandfathered in?  It seems like making football a Div. III level program would save a significant sum of money while addressing some of the concerns of those who do not want to be without a team.

I don't know enough about the numbers to say we definitely should go that route, but I toss it out as option for consideration . . . .

Joanie