SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2004

From:
Krazy Kiwi Viv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:08:41 -0500
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 chuck <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just finished reading Strike's pamphlet on dealing with the media
>for dive ops.  Ought to be required reading.

I whole heartily agree 100% to that .. just read my copy last night.

>I remember having to read a book on diving and the law when working
>on DM certification. As I recall it consisted mostly of 'we will take
>care of you' from PADI and had no real useful information.
>
>This book is different.  It is not only useful but is well written
>(other than the spelling;)).

Applicable also for *silent death* incidents, in particular how to handle
things with witnesses, the media, the way the incident is reported, etc.

I gnash my teeth in despair every time there is a shark attack over here.
Without fail our local newspaper & tv stations malign the great white
pointer shark using footage of them to accompany the news story regardless
of the actual culprit involved.
Viv