HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 5

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:03:47 -0500
Here is a statement from a Republican Vet.

Maybe he would be the best choice as president.
At least from what I have heard from and about him. He seems the most
honest out of the whole bunch.

McCain Says Kerry Not Weak on Defense

Friday March 19, 2004 3:01 AM
By NANCY BENAC Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Arizona Sen. John McCain, arguably the Democrats'
favorite Republican, managed to step all over the GOP's carefully honed
message of the week Thursday by rejecting the notion that John Kerry is
weak on defense.

President Bush and his campaign apparatus have gone to great effort to
suggest the Democratic presidential contender would be an unfit commander
in chief, picking apart his Senate voting record on weapons and defense
spending.

``The senator from Massachusetts has given us ample doubts about his
judgment and the attitude he brings to bear on vital issues of national
security,'' Vice President Dick Cheney declared Wednesday. A day earlier,
the Bush campaign released an ad arguing Kerry had turned his back on U.S.
soldiers by voting against an $87 billion aid package for Iraq and
Afghanistan last year. On Thursday, the campaign put out yet another ad
accusing Kerry of waffling on military issues.

Asked on two morning TV shows Thursday whether he thought Kerry was weak on
defense, the Arizona senator was quick to bat down the suggestion.
Furthermore, he chided both parties for waging such a ``bitter and
partisan'' campaign.

``This kind of rhetoric, I think, is not helpful in educating and helping
the American people make a choice,'' he said on ``The Early Show'' on CBS.

As for Kerry, McCain said the senator would have to explain his voting
record but he also told NBC's ``Today'' show: ``No, I do not believe that
he is necessarily weak on defense. I don't agree with him on some issues
clearly. But I decry this negativism that's going on on both sides.''

It's not first time the independent-minded McCain has strayed from the
Republican line.

``He doesn't usually pick up the president's talking points and amplify
them,'' said James Thurber, a political scientist at American University.
``He speaks his mind.''

That's just the quality that Democrats find so endearing.

In fact, when the Democratic presidential contenders were asked earlier
this year to name their favorite Republican, four of the nine - including
Kerry - selected McCain. He was the only one to be named more than once.

For McCain, talking about Kerry is not just business, it's also personal.

The two are good friends, a somewhat unlikely destination given their
histories.

McCain, a Navy bomber pilot, spent more than five years as a prisoner of
war in Vietnam. Kerry, who also served in the Navy during Vietnam, came
home with three Purple Hearts and a Silver Star and became a leader of
Vietnam Veterans Against the War. At one protest in 1971, he threw away war
medals belonging to other veterans and cast his own military ribbons over a
fence. McCain heard about it while he was still being held captive in the
Hanoi Hilton.

After McCain was elected to the U.S. House, he campaigned against Kerry in
his first Senate race, faulting him for tossing away those medals and
ribbons. But the two came to terms after they got to the Senate, and began
working together. It was McCain and Kerry, for example, who pushed to end
the trade embargo on Vietnam and to establish diplomatic relations with the
country.

McCain has described their current relationship as ``easy.''

``I think it's still possible to have a friend if they're in another
party,'' he said Thursday.

The Kerry campaign welcomed McCain's comments, noting that the Arizona
senator has been a leader on defense issues for decades.

``It's helpful to our campaign, but it's also helpful because it speaks the
truth,'' said Kerry spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter.

Bush campaign spokesman Terry Holt said McCain was right - at least when he
said Kerry would have to explain his voting record.

``As John McCain indicated, the record is appropriate to discuss and the
record clearly suggests that John Kerry is weak on national defense,'' Holt
said.

McCain has campaigned for Bush this year, but the two are not considered
close, especially since the 2000 presidential race, when McCain and Bush
competed for the GOP nomination. Bush's supporters waged a particularly
negative campaign against the senator.

McCain ``hasn't forgotten that,'' said Thurber. ``But I don't think he's
out to get him. He's just an independent-thinking Republican.''

McCain said last week he would consider an offer from Kerry to be his
running mate, but his office later issued a statement reversing course.

On Thursday, McCain said he didn't want to be vice president on either
party's ticket.

``N-O,'' he said.